Thursday, October 11, 2018

Anticlimactic

     Every fall the Illinois Music Education Association holds competitive auditions to play or sing in both district and statewide orchestra, most commonly known as IMEA auditions. So many kids travel with from their school to Bloomington Normal for their 10 minute audition. So many kids in a cafeteria waiting to audition. I don’t know if you can picture what a full cafeteria looks like since we barely have pathetic excuse for a kitchen, but trust me when I tell you it’s a lot of people. The auditions themselves are pretty nerve wracking, but that’s not what makes the auditions so bad. In my case, there are not a lot of people auditioning in the same voice as me, so I get my audition over with rather quickly. After my audition, I had to wait about 4 hours for everyone else to finish before we can head home. Luckily I didn’t have to wait alone since my good friend Matthew Tang also finished his audition pretty early.
     Matthew and I are starving, but we don’t want to get cafeteria food because it’s way too expensive. The price for one slice of Little Caesars Cheese Pizza was $2.50…not worth! Then Matty has the greatest idea “Why don’t we get food?” Obviously we both are down to get some food, so we look online to see what restaurants are around. We found two places; either a meatheads that’s 40 minutes away or an Arby’s that’s 10 minutes away. Meatheads sounds good in theory, but I didn’t want to walk for so long in formal attire. After a quick rundown of our options, we decided that Arbys was the best option since we couldn’t be sure how long we’d be out.
     We ventured out of Bloomington Normal High School en route to the local Arby’s. I had never been to Arby’s before, so I had no idea what to expect. From the way Matty described it, the restaurant sounded like somewhere between McDonalds and Wendy’s. What Matty failed to tell me was that Arby’s serves curly fries. Curly Fries! I love curly fries; they’re superior to normal French fries in both flavor and shape. The burger was meh, but the fries made up for the burger.
     Something I like to do with my food is save the best bite for last. As you can imagine my last bite was a nice crunchy yet juicy curly fry. Before I could savor that final moment with my scrumptious fry, that I really worked hard to get, some subbie came out of nowhere, took the fry right out of my fry holder, and ate it one bite. It’s not like he’s my pal or anything either, I literally had never talked to him, I don’t even know his name. I watched with agony as I couldn’t do anything. He probably saw the look of terror on my face and tried to redeem his action by saying “I’m a firm believer in the one rule, which means if I ask for one I deserve to get one.” All I could think was who does he think he is? He didn’t even ask, he just went right for the last fry with no warning. Maybe he’s ignorant, maybe he feels entitled, or maybe I’m just being really dramatic. Call me old fashioned, but if you spent the last of your money on a subpar meal that you traveled far to get I think you should get to enjoy it.
            We should’ve just gone to meatheads.

6 comments:

  1. I laughed while reading your post. But seriously. Who does that subbie think he is? How dare he take a juicy curly fry? At first, I was excited because I thought I was going to get a feature in Mariano Herrera's blog post, but turns out, it was just Matthew Tang. I probably was doing my audition while you guys were enjoying your guys' meals. Too bad my audition was so late. I have to pay you back for the 2.50 you gave me for the pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What on earth? I'm seriously wondering, does he do this to random strangers? Because if you had never even acknowledged him, that's pretty much what he's doing, whether or not you came from the same school. I'm picturing this guy going into restaurants and taking bites of random people's meals.

    I will say, I'm pretty sure you handled this situation much better than I would have. I would have made him buy me an entire new thing of fries (or complain to the staff that I didn't know this RANDOM person who stole my food and totally deny we went to the same school and try to get him in trouble. I'm petty, sue me).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, yes, the subbie was out of pocket, but I think we're missing the big point here: you had never been to Arby's?!?!? Seriously? They have the meats! Normally, I wouldn't be so shocked by this but I have a very dear relationship with the nation's premier sandwich company and so I find that you've never experienced it kind of anti-Patriotic if you really ask me. They have curly fries, Mariano! Slivers of potatoes dipped in seasoning, then boiled in hot oil until their natural shape is replaced by a high-sodium, banana curl! Also, I presume, you also have never had their world-famous Arby's sauce with the Junior Roast Beef--a culinary gift I always appreciate--which, honestly, warrants your deportation to lamer country without Arby's (I suggest Canada). I genuinely like you as a person which is I why I want the best for you. Stop writing amazing blog posts and start eating Arby's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no shame in having never been to Arby's, I believe everything except the curly fries is a poor excuse for food. Just like how the subbie is a poor excuse for a human being for behaving in that way. I respect your restraint in not curling him into a spiral and frying him in hot oil, but that would probably just get you a prison sentence, as oppose to a superb blog post. I hope your addition went well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, feels bad man. I know how hard it is waiting in that crowded cafeteria, hungry, bored, and tired. While I'm sure you will lament the loss of that last curly fry, you can be proud that your audition went well and got a funny blog post out of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually got so mad while reading this post. My heart sank when I read that a random subbie just took your last curly fry. If I was in your place, I would have made the subbie buy me a whole new thing of curly fries. God, that's honestly so rude, I mean you were the one that had to walk all the way there and buy it with YOUR money. I honestly have no idea how you didn't yell at him for taking your curly fry.

    ReplyDelete