Thursday, November 29, 2018

Parting Advice


     I’ve gotten to that point in my life where my allowance has mysteriously disappeared. In general, my parents have grown increasingly reluctant in giving money. They probably expect me to be more independent or whatever, but I just don't have source of income. At least that was the case until a few weeks ago when I took charge of my financial situation. I got a job! I am now a productive member of society. Okay maybe that’s a bit of a stretch, but still, it feels good to have a job.
     My official job name is “Crew Member” for Chipotle Mexican Grill. Essentially, you can do a variety of tasks including working the line, cash register, prepping food, and washing dishes. Each task has it’s pros and cons, but none of them are easy. The thing about Chipotle is that it’s very fast pace. If you’ve been, then you’ve probably seen how crazy the line can get. If you’ve never been, then try picturing a roughly 15 minute wait from a line that wraps around the entire first floor. With that many people counting on you to do your job in the most efficient manner, there’s not much of a chance to catch a break – unless you literally go on break – but even then, there’s subtle pressure from your manager to finish up quick.
     The way I’m describing it sounds like an awful time, but it’s very much the opposite. Everyone who works there has a positive attitude, and everyone gets along. I’m possibly the newest guy working there, but I already feel comfortable in the work space. It really feels like you’re a part of a team. I wouldn’t say that working at Chipotle is a sport but it has a lot of similarities. That lighthearted attitude from everyone has made it an enjoyable experience – even when the work is exhausting.
     And no, this is not some kind of paid promotion. I’m just saying you should take a little control of your life, maybe you’ll end up doing something you enjoy.

6 comments:

  1. I like your comparison between your job and sport. I can picture how working in Chipotle, a fast-paced and potentially stressful job, can be made more enjoyable by having your "teammates" working alongside you. Hope you keep up the great attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its really great how you have a job. Not only are you learning to manage your own money, you're also learning how to work effectively in a team and deal with stressful situations. Working at Chipotle probably isn't one of the most desired jobs out there, but the fact that you enjoy it and aren't complaining (unlike a lot of adults in life) is a great thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i worked as a lifeguard over the summer and ended up making a significant amount of money. unfortunately i have no self control and i have been spending it on banjos and food. pro tip: buying food will hemorrhage your money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok first of all can i get a discount or a free burrito?? Jk but actually tho that would be great. I am glad that you are taking your life in your own hands and getting a job so now you can buy whatever you want!! Also kinda jealous you are working at chipotle because thats like my favorite fast food place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you mean. At my summer job as a swim instructor we all get pretty close and comfortable with each other. Even on terrible rainy, cold days we all get to suffer together and that somehow makes it okay. It's a strange team/ family. It's also a nice taste of independence and the money is always nice to have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have the best financial situation either, I don't have a reliable source of income after my summer job ended, and as a result I have become increasingly stingy when it comes to spending my money. Hopefully I can find a paid job that lasts throughout the school year so I can start freely spending again (With restraint of course).

    ReplyDelete