Thursday, November 8, 2018

Wilde Room


     A wise man once said “Life imitates art far more than art imitates Life”.  Oscar Wilde was an influential man and this quote is no exception to his accomplishments. Over a century after his death people still debate how true his statement is. While both sides have strong arguments, I personally believe the contrary in that art imitates life. Look, I’m not here to present you an argument, I will just give you my experience with this common phrase.
     My art is not your common canvas painting or sketch on paper. My art is my room and everything in it are the paint strokes. I start of the school year with perfectly clean room with not a speck of dust on my desk. The room has vibes of tranquility. That’s because my life is at peace. As school begins I have time to do everything, I can even work ahead. My room shows this because I can take the time to put everything away, take the time to clear my desk, etc.
     Let’s jump forward to now. My room is a mess. I’ve got important papers flooding my desk, everything else gets the ground. I haven’t made my bed since Sunday and I’ve got laundry losing their patience after my 4th “I’ll do it tomorrow.” Essentially my room is gross. I don’t like to have my room like this, I honestly disgusts me and even stresses me out to see it like this. At some point I will do it, probably tomorrow, but until then this is my life. I prefer a nice room, but with so much going with school and extracurriculars, I can’t find the effort to tidy my room up. Cleaning is such a tedious task and I think many people agree that it’s just not a fun activity.
     I don’t have a good ending to this blog post, there isn’t anything insightful I have to say to complete the analogy. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I don’t look forward to cleaning up my room, but I do look forward to the less stressful environment. After all it’s where I spend most my time.

7 comments:

  1. Ahaha I relate to your blog post a lot. Time after time again, I'll start from a spotless room to a jungle of books, clothes, and other loose items. Perhaps it's not that art imitates life but life is art and art is life. After all, your room is a physical representation of what you do in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same thing has happened to me. My room is a complete and utter mess right now and I keep telling myself that I should clean it but never do. My mom though constantly tells me to clean it, and after her telling me to do so multiple times that's when I finally have the motivation to do it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this blog. It was super poetic, I loved the metaphors and personification. My trick to never have to make my bed is just not to use it, so you could give that a whirl. I appreciate the ending too, it was refreshing not to be left with some "deep" moral ending, and to just have an honest conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My room is also disgusting. Sure, I'll tidy up once in a while to make it look acceptable, but that doesn't solve the deeper problem: I just have too much stuff, specifically books, that my mom just won't let me give away. She has this obsession of me having a personal "library"--even if it's all kids' books. Because of the loads of old books in my room, I have nowhere to put my newer, more important books, so they're all just strewn across my desk and floor. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's crazy to see the progression of rooms throughout the school year. In my most busy times of schoolwork is when my room is the messiest, which sucks because I get so much more distracted when my room is messy! So then I either procrastinate on work by cleaning my room or continue feeling overwhelmed by my assignments and the mess. It's really tricky

    ReplyDelete
  6. i made myself a goal this year to keep my room clean and all summer it was completely dust free but the second school starts it all goes to hell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have sentient laundry? Cool.

    ReplyDelete